Friday, March 5, 2010

Amazed

so here i am sittin in my apartment, early morning...well erm, early to us, seeing as im the only one up. But im just thinking how awesome it is to be home. And now im thinking, for people who do what i do, is this really home? and if so, what makes it home? My idea of this being home is "skewed" a little, because i have been born and raised in Long Beach. But i dont really consider that to necessarily be a defining factor in calling a place "home". To me, Long beach is home for a number of reasons. I think the biggest reason is because of the friends and relationships i have within this amazing city. I feel fortunate to have a really tight knit group of best friends, instead of a few close ones and a bunch of acquaintances. I have had the same best friend since i was 2 years old. My mom, which is about the only real family have i, lives here as well. I think that is the core of it. If i didnt have strong emotional holds to long beach, i might not necessarily live here at this moment in time.

It seems as if everytime im home though, there is something new to go see or try. Everything is close enough, yet far enough. LA is a 35 minute train ride away, The OC is a 20 minute drive. There is just something about this city that has my heart, Maybe its the different areas and what they have to offer, maybe its the fact that its 65 degrees out right now, and its snowing in other parts of the country, maybe its the amazing mexican food. Whatever it is, i love it, and dont want to ever move.
I have a much different perspective of long beach than most people i meet, where as everyone loves it but is trying to get out and try new things or see new things. Im trying to stay. I get to see the world the majority of the year, which im extremely thankful for. But coming home for me, is being on vacation. i work for 2 solid months, gone from home, 50+hours a week. And then i get to spend my time in between tours, in sunny southern california, with my best friends and my family, and my amazing roommates. Life couldnt be better.

No comments: